There are an endless number of pretty Suffolk villages in our area, here we introduce you to four such gems...

Rendlesham

A peaceful village and civil parish located four miles north of Woodbridge. The village was a centre of authority of the King for the East Of Angles in the 7th and 8th centuries – there is a possibility his son may have been buried in Rendlesham in 664.

The modern part of the village was built around the former Bentwaters airfield that was used by the Royal Air Force in WWII as well as the United States Air Force from 1951-1993. There are two churches, St Gregory’s is located in the older part of the town whilst St Felix stands in the modern area.

Mystical scene, a walk in Rendlesham Forest

Rendlesham has a taxi service available plus other local services; there is a doctor’s surgery, post office, primary school, nursery, dentist, care home and a supermarket as well as a fish and chip shop and a Chinese takeaway. 

Grundisburgh

The rivers Lark and Gull flow through this village in the East Suffolk district, six miles north east of Ipswich and three miles north west away from Woodbridge.

It is evident the village has a vast history; Grundisburgh was recorded in the Domesday book of 1086 and its Church of England, St Mary’s Church, has been standing in the village since the 13th century.

There is also a Baptist church, St Gregory’s, which was established in 1798.

Grundisburgh has a primary school, post office, a doctors surgery, various shops, a pub (The Dog Inn) and a well equipped playing field - all within reasonable walking distance. 

Barker Gotelee Solicitors
Garrick Flooring

Waldringfield

Waldringfield sits on the bank of the river Deben and is four miles south of Woodbridge, eight miles east of Ipswich.

It is home to the Waldringfield Sailing Club, who provide dinghy racing events, training courses as well as holding an annual Regatta. Its boatyard provides facilities for yachts as well as offering river trips for individuals or parties.

Drinks on the Deben at Waldringfield. Photo credit: Cmglee

The village has a playground, tennis courts, a beach and a five acre church yard.

There is no general store, but a mobile grocer as well as a fresh fish van visit the village on a regular basis, additionally, outside the village hall a mobile library and mobile post office visit three times a week. 

 

Newbourne

This civil parish lies on the peninsula between the river Orwell and the river Deben and is eight miles east of Ipswich, five miles south of Woodbridge. 

Newbourne is another Suffolk village written in the Domesday Book of 1086. Its church, St Mary, is a Grade I listed building dating back to the 12th century.

Another listed building in Newbourne is an old manor house, Newbourne Hall, which was built in the 14th century.

The Fox Inn, Newbourne

The village has a pub (The Fox Inn), a mobile library, a village hall and a farm shop that sells local produce and craft products.

Newbourne Springs is the nature reserve situated on the edge of the village, it includes a range of habitats and a visitors centre. The springs also have a number of footpaths going through the village into the reserve.